The SF Green Business program is a wonderful opportunity to implement green practices, receive onsite technical assistance, join the green business community and receive recognition from the City of San Francisco. Please check your eligibility before getting started.
Here are the steps in the process:
- Submit application on http://GreenBusinessCA.org
- Submit completed checklist
- Phone consultation
- Initial site visit
- Onsite assessments to verify that San Francisco Green Business standards are being met
- San Francisco Green Business recognition awarded and maintained
Submit the Application Form
The registration includes a short enrollment form to gather information about the nature of your business. Please read the instructions below, before starting your application.
- Compliance: Only businesses that are in compliance with environmental regulations are eligible for green business recognition. Enrolled businesses will receive compliance verification assessment before recognition is granted. To learn more about how to be in compliance, see our partner's compliance guide page from the SF Department of Public Health.
- Questions: If you have questions about the program standards, please visit our toolkit and FAQ page.
Complete and Submit the Checklist
Based on the information you provide in the online enrollment form, you will receive a unique username and URL link to your Green Business application and the appropriate checklist for your business sector. Save your username to return to your checklist! Fill the checklist out as best as you can, submitting it through www.greenbusinessca.org.
Upon receipt of your submitted checklist via www.greenbusinessca.org, we will schedule a phone consultation with you. During the phone consultation we will discuss the process in detail, review the checklist with you, and discuss documentation with you. We will then set up an appointment for an initial site visit.
During the initial site visit we will conduct a walk-through and verify that your business is properly implementing the practices identified on the checklist. Using supporting documentation and photographic evidence gathered in the site visit, we will provide recommendations to our program area experts on whether your business needs further assistance in any particular area.
Based on the report from the initial site visit, program area experts will conduct onsite assessments to verify compliance with environmental regulations and San Francisco Green Business standards. During their assessments they provide technical assistance, rebate information, and money-saving tips. Environmental compliance may be verified by one or all of the following agencies:
SF Green Business recognition awarded and maintained
Congratulations! Once program area experts verify the implementation of program standards, you will be recognized as a San Francisco Green Business. We will send you a recognition award packet and include your business on our website and in our marketing communications.
Please note the following:
- San Francisco Green Business recognition is tied to your location and becomes invalid if your business moves. If your business moves, please inform us in advance.
- San Francisco Green Business recognition is valid for one calendar year. However, you may extend the recognition for an additional two years by submitting an annual self-reporting form at the end of the second and third years. This form is provided in a private section of the site once your business completes the program.
- At the end of the 3-year recognition period, your business must submit a new checklist and meet the latest program standards for renewal.